Welcome ...

to the collective musings of Angie Seaton, Jolie McAllister, Reese Paul and Sherry Lewis. We've been friends and critique partners for more than 10 years, and we invite you to join us on our journeys as we FINISH THE DAMN BOOK!

9/08/2009

INSPIRATION

Posted by Jo Jones |

Inspiration. It comes in so many forms. People, places, events. And of course, books. Books written by authors who in some way touch something inside us. Something memorable that stays with us. A character. A setting. A belief. A way of life.

So it was with me. When I think of what inspires me, I first think of the people who had the most impact on my life. That would of course be my father and grandfather. My grandfather lived the character John Wayne portrayed in most of his movies. He was a homestead rancher whose word was his bond. My father was the same type of man. Honest. Fair. Truthful. These were men who walked their talk. That is what inspires me.

Have I walked my talk? I'm very ashamed to admit I have not. I've talked about my desire to write books for as long as I can remember. From the time I printed stories in my red Big Chief notebook, to now, I've wanted to write western set stories about men and women with courage and honor, who faced their trials with spirit and even at times, defiance. I wanted to share our family's love of the land, of horses and cattle and the feel of the wind on your face on the open range. There's nothing like it.

I admire many authors who've done what I've dabbled at. What I've started many times, but never finished. I'm inspired by those authors who have achieved my dream and who did so with great impact. There are so many great stories of women's courage, it would be impossible to list them all, but a couple of the books that have inspired me are Lonnie Coleman's Beulah Land trilogy, and True Women by Janice Woods Windle.

This is the year I'm going to achieve my dream. Both in finishing my western set historical, and earning the right to say, yes, I walk my talk. My current mantra? Finish The Damn Book!

I invite you to join me. What are your goals and dreams? Have you accomplished them? Is this your year to do so? What books and authors have inspired you, your life, or impacted your beliefs? Please post your thoughts, your dreams, your joys, and come along for the ride. Let's make this the year we all follow our dreams.

Jolie

0 comments:

Subscribe